Unlock the power of functional training by mastering the ultimate exercise: the Superman Push Up.
In this comprehensive guide, we'll cover the proper warm-up, progressions, common mistakes, and best practices to help you achieve this impressive feat.
Functional training is an essential component of any fitness routine, and the Superman Push Up is the perfect way to challenge your body and build upper-body strength.
Before attempting the Superman Push Up, it's crucial to warm up your wrists and upper body. A proper warm-up can help prevent injury and ensure that you're ready for this challenging functional training exercise.
Start by warming up your wrists with wrist circles. Interlock your fingers, press your palms together, and roll your wrists in one direction for ten reps. Switch directions and complete another ten reps. Perform two or three sets to get your wrists ready for action.
Push-Ups to Superman Holds
Next, activate your entire body with push-ups to Superman holds. Begin in a push-up position and lower your chest to the ground. Extend your arms and legs into a Superman hold, keeping your body tight and contracted. Hold for two seconds, then return to the push-up position. Complete 10-15 reps to warm up your chest, triceps, shoulders, back, glutes, and legs.
Mastering the Superman Push Up requires practice and patience. Follow these progressions to build the strength and explosiveness necessary for this functional training exercise.
1. Explosive Push Up
Begin with explosive push-ups, ensuring that you can complete at least 10-20 regular push-ups first. Explode off the ground at the top of each rep and land with soft elbows. To modify, use an elevated surface.
2. Clap Push Up
Next, work on clap push-ups, a popular functional training exercise. Maintain full extension and explosiveness in each rep, clapping at the top of the push-up. To modify, use an elevated surface.
3. Chest Tap Push Up
Progress to chest tap push-ups, focusing on speed and proper technique. Tap your chest at the top of each rep and return your hands to the ground before your body lands. To modify, use an elevated surface.
4. Pseudo Superman Push Up
Begin practicing the Superman push-up with your feet on the ground. Extend your arms out as you gain confidence, starting with small movements and gradually working up to full extension. To modify, use an elevated surface.
5. Full Body Explosive Push Up
Introduce full-body explosive push-ups, an essential functional training exercise. Ensure that your hands and feet leave the ground simultaneously by pushing off your toes and lifting your hips. This coordination will help you transition to the full Superman Push Up.
6. Full Superman Push Up
Finally, work on extending your arms and legs fully in the air during the Superman push-up. Practice on a soft surface for safety, and start with small extensions before attempting the full movement. Remember, mastering this functional training exercise takes time and patience.
Common Mistakes & Best Practices
Avoid common pitfalls and perfect your Superman Push Up technique with these tips:
- Always warm up properly to prevent injury and ensure that you're ready for this challenging functional training exercise.
- Focus on speed and explosiveness during each progression. This will help you build the strength and power necessary for the Superman Push Up.
- Gradually extend your arms and legs as you gain confidence in each progression. Don't rush the process; it's essential to build a solid foundation before attempting the full movement.
- Modify exercises using an elevated surface if necessary. This can help you build strength and technique as you work towards the full Superman Push Up.
- Practice on a soft surface for safety and comfort. This will help protect your wrists and minimize the risk of injury.
- Keep your core engaged throughout the exercise. A strong core is essential for maintaining stability and control during the Superman Push Up.
- Breathe properly during each progression. Inhale as you lower your body and exhale as you push up and explode off the ground.
- Maintain proper body alignment throughout the exercise. Keep your head, neck, and spine in a neutral position, and avoid arching your lower back or letting your hips sag.
- Work on your flexibility to improve your range of motion and reduce the risk of injury. Incorporate stretching exercises into your routine, focusing on your chest, shoulders, and wrists.
- Be patient and consistent in your practice. The Superman Push Up is a challenging functional training exercise that requires time and dedication to master. Stay focused on your progress, and celebrate your achievements along the way.
The Superman Push Up is an advanced functional training exercise that tests your strength, explosiveness, and coordination.
By following the proper warm-up, progressions, and best practices outlined in this guide, you'll be well on your way to mastering this impressive movement.
Remember to be patient, consistent, and always prioritize safety as you work towards the ultimate Superman Push Up.
Give It a Try with JTMFit App
Ready to take your functional training to the next level?
Get a 7-day free trial on the JTMFit App and access expert guidance, tailored workout plans, and a supportive fitness community to help you reach your goals.
Don't miss this opportunity to elevate your training and achieve the impressive Superman Push Up! Start your 7-day free trial now!